Saturday, August 16, 2008

So I've Been Eating Lunch With The Kids...

Lunch with the fourth graders is always a good time. They can carry on a real conversation. I know all their names. They can open their own milk.

Lunch with the kindergarteners, on the other hand, is a trip. I can't understand half of what they say so I spend a lot of time saying "excuse me" and "hmmm" and "I don't know" and "really." And I nod a lot.

Kindergarteners haven't quite figured out how to open their milk or their ketchup packets. Or they know how to open the packages but don't have the strength in their tiny little hands. So they use their teeth.

It's very primal.

Some of them strip the breading off their corndogs and it's not so appetizing.

Trust me.

Lunch with the third graders was pretty good. A. told me she had an operation and her "independence" got taken out. T. accidentally squirted me with ketchup but I was okay. I was wearing black.

And it was an accident.

"It was an accident."

That one little phrase has so much power in an elementary school. It wipes the slate clean. Gets you off the hook. Out of trouble.

Most of the time.

Like when you squirt ketchup on the teacher.

6 comments:

Donna said...

Great thoughts!!! "It was an accident" is right up there with "I'm sorry." ... and it works with adults, too. I'm glad that YOU are doing what you're doing Kathy. You're GREAT at it and it's soooooo important. You'll be a great principal some day!!! : )

I'm missing you and John...

Cindy said...

Your lunchtime sounds much more entertaining than mine. I'm usually eating alone in my car and can manage to get something on me pretty much no matter what. This week it was plum juice. It helps me relate to my nursing home patients who are usually wearing some of their lunch too.

Cindy said...

Hey!! Who is "static - aka Joe"??? You snuck on in on us!

Kathy said...

He's our newest kitty. There's a whole post on him coming soon.

It's a long story.

Cindy, I wondered who was going to spot him first!

Cindy said...

Well, I just happened to be scrolling down and when I first looked, I thought it was another picture of Agnes, and then I looked closer and realized that it wasn't. I was more like thinking, "How come I'm the last to hear about a new kitty!?" Do tell, do tell.

Amber and Nala said...

Oh yes...aren't Kindergarteners great! ;) I am a Kindergarten teacher so I understand what you are talking about but I don't mind the neediness because you get so much love in return. :)